Oct 13, 2016

The problem with open floor plans

I haven't regularly worked in an office for more than 10 years now, and of the 10 years before, I maybe spent 2 or 3 years on an open floor. For the rest of the time I had the luxury of an own office. When I visit clients, I realized that in recent years, even high executives moved to open floors. It is supposed to be a more transparent, open atmosphere, a more communicative environment, everyone is accessible. If you ask me, for someone who tries to get things done (other than emails or signing invoices), this doesn't really help productivity. Although putting together strategy presentations in PPT and coding may be two very different things, I can at least relate to the programmers being tired of constant interruptions in their work. Studies have shown that a programmer needs 10 to 15 minutes to get back to being productive after an interruption, and that on average, they only get one 2-hour-uninterrupted-session per day. God save the home office.

http://qz.com/806583/programmers-hate-open-floor-plans/